With most of the population & the economies in Sub-Saharan Africa being agro-based, Asante Waste
Management plans to invest in a number of composting facilities to recycle green waste from our Local Authority
contracts within the region into high quality peat-free compost. Our composting facilities will treat hundreds of
thousands of tonnes of biowaste every year.
1. In-Vessel Composting Facilities
– Asante Waste Management will operate three In-Vessel Composting
Facilities in East Africa, processing almost 100,000 tonnes of garden and food wastes. All our facilities will
be PAS-100 and Quality Protocol certified and permitted to treat Animal By-Products including household
kitchen waste. Our IVCs will produce almost 50,000 tonnes of compost each year, which is used in a range
of agricultural and horticultural applications.
All our IVCs utilise automatic control systems to optimise the composting process and to guarantee the
highest levels of sanitation and quality of the final compost. Our facilities will be designed and fitted with the best available technology for the treatment of the air & water use and reuse, to guarantee the control
of odours & emissions. The composted material is trademarked A-Gro and available across the region.
2. Open Window Composting Facilities
– Asante Waste Management will operate five Open Windrow
Composting sites in the region, processing over 100,000 tonnes of green and garden wastes each year. All
our facilities will be PAS-100 & Quality Protocol certified and permitted to treat green and garden wastes,
to be transformed into over 50,000 tonnes of compost each year.
The green waste is processed over 12 weeks & incoming waste is checked for contamination, shredded,
formed into windrows and regularly turned to optimise the natural composting process. Rainwater at the
sites is stored and can be used in periods of dry weather to add moisture. Finally, the product is screened
to a range of grades for agricultural and domestic use. The composted material is trademarked A-Gro and available across the region.
– A-Gro is a range of high-quality, organic soil and lawn conditioners made from our green waste recycling activities, which offers an ideal alternative to chemical fertilisation. Whether you are a large business looking for continuous supply or a home gardener, we will offer a more eco-friendly, carbon neutral way to improve the health and fertility of your soil. A-Gro is made under rigorous quality standards for use in landscaping, agriculture and gardening across the region.
East Africa currently imports the majority of the resources needed for horticultural fertilisers. Mining of the potassium and phosphorous we need and its transport here is expensive and has a large carbon footprint.
We will transform this into a range of PAS100 and Soil Association certified sustainable organic fertilisers, currently producing over 80,000 tonnes a year.